Monday, August 18, 2008

Taking My Own Advice

I'm sure people wonder if I can relate to the tough decisions that have to be made when it comes to cutting down on your stuff. Parting with treasured possessions isn't easy, and it can be easier said than done. Rationally, you might completely understand that it's time to let something go; but the emotional ties are often stronger than we think.

Case in point. The BB and I have acquired a number of furniture pieces from family, leading to a very eclectic household. Handmade tables from my father; an antique desk from The BB's grandmother; and our most recent additions, a hutch and buffet that belonged to my grandmother. We've discussed all of this furniture as we develop a household of our own, and we've decided that we really like how everything has meaning and history, and seems to come together nicely (despite the varied sources of it all). But the recent hutch and buffet influx has put me in a tough spot. It's time to part with some things that have been meaningful to me in the past, but don't have a spot in my future.


This hutch is as old as I am. It has been in my many homes for my entire life. As a child, I somehow knew not to open it and play with the breakable dishes my mom stored there. And when I was old enough to get my own apartment, she helped me paint it red and move it in. It has served me well, holding a lot of stuff and serving as a foundation for the rest of my decor. But now I'm looking at two hutches, and I'm making the tough decision to let this one go.

Sometimes we take hand-me-downs from family and friends out of a sense of obligation. The important thing to keep in mind is that furniture ultimately has to serve a functional purpose. Otherwise, it's just taking up valuable living space. So, faced with my dilemma, I realized that having two matching pieces from my grandmother would work better in our space. The BB and I carefully thought about it before taking the new (old) pieces in and made sure that we would be honoring them properly and enjoying them in our home.

This weekend my mom is picking up the red hutch. It turns out that she has the perfect spot for it in her dining room. So that made parting with it even easier. So, goodbye for now, old friend.

2 comments:

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary said...

Aw, sweet history, and difficult choices. At least it is going to a good home!