Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Buddy System

Welcome to my new blog! My goal is to keep this up-to-date with musings, tips & tricks, stories, and my experiences as a professional organizer.

A trend that I am finding in working with my clients is that they are looking for what I will call a "clutter buddy." It's a daunting task to get started on an organizing project, and no one should have to go it alone. Often, as I stand side-by-side with a client as we sort through their stuff, they wonder "why can't I just do this on my own?" But the fact is, it's a lonely task. Part of the process of allowing yourself to get rid of something is to share the story of it before you let it go. I have listened carefully and with compassion as the history of a particular photo, home made costume, or child's craft project is revealed. It seems as though once the story is heard one more time, it's easier to let go.

In other cases, my clients are looking for companionship as they tackle the piles of clutter. Someone to help schlep a box or hold open a trash bag. It can make the time go by faster and keep the energy level going.

We all have that closet that needs a purging or that area in the garage that's getting a little bit out of control. (Yes, me included. Nobody's perfect!) Whether or not you choose to work with an organizer, try to find a clutter buddy to help you stay on track and meet your goals.

No comments: